Friday, August 24, 2007

The Candy Gram: Miss Delirium Tremens


In our ongoing Q&A series --"The Candy Gram"-- we ask the same quirky questions of burlesque's various performers. If you want to be added to the mix, drop us a line at kellydinardo AT gmail DOT com. Today, say hello to New York's Miss Delirium Tremens.

What is your hometown?
New York City, the best city in the world (or in the US anyway). I'm a native of NY -- while I can't say its perfect, I can't imagine living anyplace else. Not least because I don't know how to drive.

How long have you been interested in burlesque/performing?
In performing? My whole life. But I've been doing burlesque for about 6 years now. I gogoed periodically for a couple of years before that.

How many pairs of pasties do you own?
Too many to count. I bought a few pairs back at Pat Fields years ago when I started performing. A good friend made me a ton more, a lot of which have been worn until they are literally falling apart. Little Brooklyn made me my fabulous fried egg pasties, I have Ace (Card) pasties and Swarovski domino pasties.

Lately I've been making Swarovski-covered pasties both for myself and for clients. In addition to the domino ones (which are indeed rectangular) I have fire opal reds with red tassels, red with black edges and tassels, pink with black tassels, and gold and smoky topaz ones with black tassels. I'm about to make myself another batch including chartruese, light blue and Crystal AB.

I should really get rid of some of the ones that are no longer wearable, but they have such mammaries... err ... memories ... attached!

What are your three favorite songs to perform to?
This changes all the time. At the moment probably Sway (Rosemary Clooney's version), Bechet's Creole Blues and Dance of the Sugar Rum Cherry by Duke Ellington.

What three items could you not live without as a performer?
Only 3? Pasties, G-string and red lipstick. Boring but those are the absolute essentials.

Who had the biggest influence on your career?
Dirty Martini and Julie Atlas Muz. I was lucky enough to start performing when the scene was a lot smaller. So from the beginning I was performing with the best.

I love the way Dirty dances. She moves so wonderfully, and can make *anything* work. Plus she's a wonderful human being, who I always enjoy spending time with.

I love Julie's dancing as well, but more than that I love her freedom and inventiveness. She is so unbelievably creative. Plus she gave me some great advice. I'd never worn blush, I have fairly pronounced cheekbones, and I just never saw the point. Julie was at a show I did and came backstage during intermission--she said "you have a beautiful face but you look like a pancake out there, wear blush!!!" And I have, ever since.

Who is your favorite burly queen?
Too many to mention. There is so much talent out there! But I have to say the above two are certainly among my very tops. Of the legends -- well Lili St Cyr, for her elegance, grace and class, and Jennie Lee, because she always looks like she's having a ball. And one can't forget Dixie, she's an inspiration to us all.

What is your favorite item of clothing?
My Mode Merr Cheetah suit.

What's the last movie you saw?
At the theater? The new Harry Potter flick on IMAX. It was good, but the climax didn't work for me. At home? Children of Men. It was very good, and made me think, but I'm not sure if I truly *liked* it or not. I couldn't totally accept the entire premise.

What's on your must-see-TV list?
Mostly I watch DVDs of tv shows -- Battlestar Galactica season three and Dr Who season three at the moment. I watch very little current TV. Partly because of the fact I don't have cable. As everyone knows, I love, love, love Star Trek -- especially Deep Space Nine. The only one I don't enjoy is Enterprise because it was AWFUL!.

What book is on your nightstand?
I've been reading terrible books this summer--mystery novels mostly. My brain needed a break.

I recently finished the final Harry Potter. The next book I'm really eager to read is Sarah Waters' most recent book. I think she's a great writer. Then maybe I'll read some AS Byatt. She wrote a quartet, but by the time I tried to read the 4th I could only vaguely recall the details of books 1-3, so I need to re-read those first.

I also have a list of books I *should* read, but those can wait.

If you could go anywhere for vacation, where would you go?
Italy. For a long long time.

If you could have any superpower, which one would you want? Why?
Does teleportation count? I'd love to have no commutes. And to be able to send myself wherever I want to go (anywhere in the world) instantly.

Satisfy your appetite for more Candy Grams: Paris Green, Jo Boobs, Jack Midnight, Heidi Von Haught, Diamond Minx, The Titillation Twins, Scratch, Creamy Stevens and Gina Louise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for more Candy Grams. I also think Dirty Martini is fantastic.

I love that we are all sci fi geeks at heart. DT and I have such very similar watching preferences.

Anonymous said...

dt, don't forget, you need a teleportation device that can also handle luggage!

Anonymous said...

Getting a topaz ring as links london jewellery jewelry gifts from better-half is no lower than an awesome joy. discount links of london bracelets Many ladies do admire such jewelry sparkling through charms links of london their fingers. If you may get to own one as gift, links of london silver watches you will definitely appreciate such beauty and elegance for high class cheap links of london necklaces type of jewelry. Those who know what the actual worth of gemstones will links london pendants certainly love to have one added into their collection.