Friday, July 6, 2007

The Candy Gram: Scratch


In our ongoing Q&A series --"The Candy Gram"-- we ask the same quirky questions of burlesque's various performers. If you want to be added to the mix, drop us a line at kellydinardo AT gmail DOT com. Today, say hello to Scratch who performs as the M.C. of The Boston Babydolls.

What's your hometown?
Born and raised in New York City; live and perform in Boston.

How long have you been interested in burlesque/performing?
I was in my first show (a light opera) when I was seven.

How many pairs of pasties do you own?
None ... but I own six fedoras.

What are your three favorite songs to perform to?
I'm going to jumble that up. My favorite song that The Boston Babydolls perform to (as a group) is Save My Soul by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. It's a rich, dark, tribute to New Orleans. My theme music is The Beast as performed by Milt Buckner.

It's hard for me to say what my favorite Boston Babydoll piece is; it varies from show to show. Betty Blaize's "Geek Love" routine to Night Train is hysterical; Dominique Immora does a routine to In These Shoes by Kirsty MacColl whichis amazing; Miss Mina's Mackie Messer evokes this incredible rathskeller vibe (it'sMack the Knife in German).

What three items could you not live without as a performer?
A decent tailor, the other members of The Boston Babydolls, and, you, our wonderful audience.

Who had the biggest influence on your career?
I learned to tell stories from Frank McCourt, the Pulitzer prize winning author and playwright. He was my high school English teacher and I adore him to this day.

Who is your favorite burly queen?
I'll give you my favorite burly court, instead: Billy Minsky and his brothers.

What is your favorite item of clothing?
My custom made red zoot suit.

What's the last movie you saw?
Ocean's 13.

What's on your must-see-TV list?
I don't watch a lot, but Jericho (so, so good) and Top Chef (I love to cook).

What book is on your nightstand?
The Best Burlesque Sketches: As Adapted for Sugar Babies and Other Entertainments by Ralph Allen and a stack of comic books.

If you could go anywhere for vacation, where would you go?
New York City ... in 1928.

If you could have any superpower, which one would you want? Why?
Time travel, baby. I'd love to visit the golden age of burlesque instead of just re-creating it!

Photo courtesy of Ama Lea Imagery

No comments: