Friday, August 10, 2007

The Candy Gram: Jo Boobs


In our ongoing Q&A series --"The Candy Gram"-- we ask the same quirky questions of burlesque's various performers. If you want to be added to the mix, drop us a line at kellydinardo AT gmail DOT com. Today, say hello to New York's Jo Boobs who has also performed as Jo Weldon and Tanya Hyde.

What is your hometown?
New York City, by way of Littleton CO and Atlanta GA

How long have you been interested in burlesque/performing?
Since about 1978. I swear.

How many pairs of pasties do you own?
I don’t know; I have dozens for my students to use in my classes and probably about two dozen more for my own costumes. They’re everywhere, and stuck to everything. I do have 3 Golden Pasties (NYBF Awards)! I’m very proud of that. Not bad for an aging lap dancer.

What are your three favorite songs to perform to?
This varies, but lately:
Lucretia MacEvil by Blood Sweat and Tears
International Lover by Prince
The theme from Taxi Driver

What three items could you not live without as a performer?
Glitter
Red Lipstick
Wheeled Suitcases

Who had the biggest influence on your career?
Indirectly, Venus Delight, who was the first person I saw recreating vintage burlesque routines—this would have been in the late 80s or early 90s. Directly, Bambi the Mermaid, Torchy Taboo, and Remy Vicious, who all pushed me to start performing again after I had stopped in the late 90s. Also, Whitney Ward and Joe Coleman have always encouraged me to think of myself as doing something worthwhile and to try out my wildest ideas. And Dixie Evans is an example to me, for loving burlesque her entire life and staying in touch with her friends. Sherry Britton has also inspired me with her humor and her ability to combine saltiness with elegance, and also with her close relationships with lifelong friends. Friends are the most important thing.

Who is your favorite burly queen?
Too many! Too much love to put onto one name. I’ve had so much support from the New York burlesque community. I am really lucky to be in New York at this time.

What is your favorite item of clothing?
G-strings! G-strings forever!

What's the last movie you saw?
The King of Hearts

What's on your must-see-TV list?
More YouTube of old commercials

What book is on your nightstand?
Literary Las Vegas

If you could go anywhere for vacation, where would you go?
I don’t have vacations, but I fantasize about taking a four-day train ride through the Rockies. Although I don’t miss living in Colorado, it’s been too long since I saw the mountains. My voicemail would say, “I’m high up in the Rockies. I’ll return your call when I come down.”

If you could have any superpower, which one would you want? Why?
The ability to make internet trolls disappear by scratching my ass. Because internet trolls always suck, and my ass always itches.

Satisfy your appetite for more Candy Grams: Jack Midnight, Heidi Von Haught, Diamond Minx, The Titillation Twins, Scratch, Creamy Stevens and Gina Louise.

3 comments:

Ophelia Flame said...

"Because internet trolls always suck, and my ass always itches." Is only one of about a billion reasons why I love Jo Boobs. Thanks for being you Jo and thanks for all the great reading Miss DiNardo! Looking forward to reading your book.
Cheers,
-Ophelia Flame
"The Burning Sensation"

www.opheliaflame.com
www.lilisburlesque.com

Anonymous said...

Did you mean "Q&A series" or "T&A series"? Hahaha
Huge Tits Milf

Unknown said...

Every eve of lv handbag of new products is also the time that Paris fashion fans line up in front of the monopolized shop all night. Since 1854, replica louis vuitton handbags has taken exquisiteness, quality and comfortable "traveling philosophy "as the foundation of its designing starting points. Their travel articles, handbags and accessories keep showing the innovative and outstanding modern fashion.However, Recollection Fall Winter 2009, these lv is costly enough that only celebrities can afford to buy them. Anyone who loves the look of designer handbags but does not want to pay for them has the option of purchasing replica handbags. louis vuitton handbags have a huge demand amongst many women. The prime reason of why it is so much in command is their look which makes it very difficult to distinguish with the original one and the unbelievable price which is at times less than half of the original one. It becomes difficult for others to judge whether the bag you are carrying is original or a fake. Most people generally do not buy Replica louis vuitton bags because they fear the quality it has. But, a known supplier or a manufacturer can provide you the replica bags which often have a great superiority too.There's really no other excuse for you not to have the ultimate fun as far as fashion is concerned. With the help of wholesale replica handbags, you can even fill your closet with the latest, trendiest duplicate designer louis vuitton and carry the latest arm candy to match your outfit - without having to burn a hole in your pocket.