Friday, July 20, 2007

The Candy Gram: Diamond Minx



In our ongoing Q&A series --"The Candy Gram"-- we ask the same quirky questions of burlesque's various performers. If you want to be added to the mix, drop us a line at kellydinardo AT gmail DOT com. Today, say hello to Vancouver's Diamond Minx.

What is your hometown?
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

How long have you been interested in burlesque/performing?
I've been dancing since I was two and a half, I have been a professional performer for 12 years - doing Stilts and Fire mostly. I became aware of burlesque about 10 years ago and thought "hmm... that looks like fun!" and finally got into it about three years ago. Dancing is just about as important as breathing in my books!

How many pairs of pasties do you own?
Considering I have an Ebay store where I sell pasties, that varies from day to day! Shameless self promotion!

I wear the rhinestone pasties I made quite a lot (I'm always dripping in bling ... hence my name), but have about six pairs for different burlettas, including a PVC pair with chain tassels.

What are your three favorite songs to perform to?
Almost Blue. It's a lovely jazz ballad, originally written by Elvis Costello. The version I have is sung by Gwen Stefani and I absolutely love it!
When You've Got It, Flaunt It from the 2001 Broadway Album of The Producers.
Feeling Good by Michael Buble. I like vintage inspired contemporary songs.

What three items could you not live without as a performer?
Rhinestones, Feathers, and Peroxide!

Who had the biggest influence on your career?
My mother! She was a radio singer and actress in the Canadian Maritimes in the 1940's and 1950's, and I'm a chip off the old block. Although she says i'm much more confident than she ever was -- usually while she laughs and shakes her head. I got to perform for her recently, and she's very proud of me.

Funny story. I was showing her the pictures of my performance at the Beauty Bar for the Miss Exotic World opening gala, and had modified the costume from the last time she'd seen images of it (it's skimpier). She's not fazed by pictures of pulchritudinous ladies, but I guess a picture of her daughter in pasties, a g-string and feathers was a bit of a shock. She called me a couple days later to ask if I could bring the pictures over again, because "I didn't look up as far as your head to see what your headdress looked like!"

Who is your favorite burly queen?
Ooh, that's a tough one. Satan's Angel. What great stage presence! And Sally Rand. She truly transcended burlesque into pure beauty.

What is your favorite item of clothing?
I can only pick one?!?!? Darling I brought three suitcases to MEW and that was roughing it!!! I'm very fickle with my clothing, and hate being seen in the same thing too often. Right now one of my faves is a vintage early 1950's green and blue brocade evening gown that had been worn by my mum.

What's the last movie you saw?
Chronicles of Narnia on DVD

What's on your must-see-TV list?
Not much at the moment.

What book is on your nightstand?
I'm reading two books right now - Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (an old favorite), and Deception Point by Dan Brown.

If you could go anywhere for vacation, where would you go?
Egypt. It's been my dream for years to make it there.

If you could have any superpower, which one would you want? Why?
I would want to be able to read and influence peoples' thoughts. I'm a very "what you see is what you get" girl and nothing perplexes me more than a person being two-faced, so I'd love to be able to know when it's happening and be able to perhaps re-direct that person's motives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great interview with a great gal.