Friday, July 27, 2007

The Candy Gram: Heidi Von Haught


In our ongoing Q&A series --"The Candy Gram"-- we ask the same quirky questions of burlesque's various performers. If you want to be added to the mix, drop us a line at kellydinardo AT gmail DOT com. Today, say hello to Seattle's Heidi Von Haught of The Von Foxies.

What is your hometown?
San Francisco, CA

How long have you been interested in burlesque/performing?
It's been about four years now. But I have wanted to take my clothes off in public since I was in fourth grade, I just didn't know how to do it.

How many pairs of pasties do you own?
Wow. I don't know. I've made so many, for myself and Christmas presents for friends and family. I have really lost count. I made my dad a SF Giants pair for Christmas last year. Then we've got the pinwheels, the fezzes, the space needles, the exploding guns. Lots. I love pasties.

What are your three favorite songs to perform to?
I'd really love to do a number to When The Levee Breaks by Led Zep but haven't yet. I love anything cheesy that we can add our own freakish spin to so I love mine and Elsa's conjoined twins number to Love Will Keep Us Together and mine and Pidge's fisting tutorial to Feel Like Makin' Love.

What three items could you not live without as a performer?
Nude thong, glitter and creativity.

Who had the biggest influence on your career?
I think Julie Atlas Muz probably. I did a one-on-one class with her that really turned into burlesque therapy. I told her all of my fears of failure and she told me that the best thing you can do for your performance life is fail. So I took a big leap into scary territory and it turned out wonderfully. She kind of convinced me to get out of safe territory and start making art that I was passionate about.

Who is your favorite burly queen?
See above. And Dirty Martini, Satan's Angel, and Diamondback Annie.

What is your favorite item of clothing?
Anything that makes my ass look good. Or my favorite black push up bra that gives me a rack.

What's the last movie you saw?
Mrs. Henderson Presents. It was cute.

Whats on your must-see-TV list?
CSI. I'm a forensics geek and love anything about serial killers.

What book is on your nightstand?
The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler. It about the end of cheap oil and scares the crap out of me.

If you could go anywhere for vacation, where would you go?
Puerto Rico, where part of my family is from.

If you could have any superpower, which one would you want? Why?
Oooh oooh! I used to obsess about Evie from Out of This World. She could freeze time by touching her finger tips together. I would get into trouble and then sit for hours thinking of how I could have avoided the trouble if I'd only had Evie's super power. One day...


Photo courtesy of Lance Wagner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview!
How is it that after watching the intro for "Out Of This World" I realized I must have run home from school to watch this show hundreds of times, and yet I had zero recollection. Thank you Heidi. Off to you tube to obsess.

Unknown said...

Oh, how I miss Miss Heidi von Haught. Thanks for the invu, it was great. I can't wait to see what the Foxies have cooked up for Tease-O-Rama.

Jezebel

Anonymous said...

Random Candy Gram update! I'm finally creating a number to When The Levee Breaks. Its a sex education/strip about female ejaculation. I'll be performing it in New York City next week! So exciting!

Anonymous said...

Getting a topaz ring as links london jewellery jewelry gifts from better-half is no lower than an awesome joy. discount links of london bracelets Many ladies do admire such jewelry sparkling through charms links of london their fingers. If you may get to own one as gift, links of london silver watches you will definitely appreciate such beauty and elegance for high class cheap links of london necklaces type of jewelry. Those who know what the actual worth of gemstones will links london pendants certainly love to have one added into their collection.