Monday, March 24, 2008

All The News That's Fit to Strip

The City University of New York revealed the art of burlesque in a symposium called "What is Burlesque? Art or Erotica or Ars Erotica?" Several performers including Jo Boobs, Tigger, Velocity Chyaldd and Rosewood put on demos and discussed burlesque. Lynn Sally told audiences:

"Burlesque is an utterly amateur form that anybody can do. But this makes burlesque a democratic art, where audiences can watch a show and say 'Wow! Look! You don't have to be super skinny to be on stage.' Burlesque feels accessible to the audience."

In other news ...

The Pussycat Dolls is back in prime time.

The Greater Boston Burlesque Exposition had "spectacular" turnout.

Don Rickles used to do impressions and jokes in striptease houses. He told the Las Vegas Sun: "I was the comedian while all the girls were undressing. By today’s standards they’re fully dressed. But I used to be the time-killer in between acts. I did bad jokes and lousy impressions and so I started talking to the audience and making fun of the place I was in, and that started out for what I do best. That was mainly because that was my personality — I was always being sarcastic."

No comments: