Tanya Cheex shares the golden rules of costumes with The Candy Pitch.
1. Make your makeup big and clean, wear false eyelashes.
2. Make sure your hair is perfectly coiffed not lank and natural. Make sure your wig is in good shape and secured safely to your head. Do not wear cheap, synthetic wigs with tracks showing!
3.Make sure your stockings and tights are free of holes (unless your character calls for it) and don't sag at ankles and knees.Bring two pairs to your gig. Make sure your stockings are opera length unless you're going flapper or 30's. Wearing beige fishnets is cheaper than surgery!
4.If you must wear off-the-rack costumes, jazz it up with some swag or rhinestones. If you can pull your street jeans over your costume, it ain't showbiz.
5.If you argue that your the girl next door type, remember you're on stage so you're the girl next door times 10.
6.If your feathers look moulty and sick, trash 'em and get new ones.
7.If you're wearing a lot of black or dark colors add something reflective like silver sequins or something. Don't disappear. Also its easier for the stage kitten to find discarded items.
8. If doing "Period" pieces do some research. It doesn't have to be 100% authentic -- it is fantasy after all -- but have some ideas of pieces that are relevant to the time period.
9.Keep up your costumes. Nothing spells tawdry showgirl like hanging trims. Wash or Febreeze those babies and add a waft of your favorite perfume.
10. Nothing breaks a fabulous outfit like scuffed shoes. If you have an all purpose favorite buy in twos. Big chunky platforms break the line of the leg. Don't enter the stage with stockinged feet.
And an extra rule for good measure ...
11. If doing a stocking peel please get a pedicure and wear slippers backstage before a barefoot act. dirty soles are not sexy! Manicures too!
What are the burlesque rules you follow? Send 'em to kellydinardo AT gmail DOT com.