Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blonde Ambition

I've thought about Lindsay Lohan's buzzed photo spread in New York magazine far too much this week. And not in the good, titillating kind of way. I kept wondering, is there some connection to be made in the idea that Marilyn Monroe mimicked Lili St. Cyr and Li Lo mimicked Marilyn? Clearly, the fumes from the perfume ads got to my head.

It was this bit from the Los Angeles Times that cleared the fog: "Why do starlets insist on channeling Marilyn Monroe? At some point, every actress decides to have her "Marilyn moment" and dons a platinum wig and a fake mole to prove that she's capable of playing an American icon. ... [It is] rather sad that so many young actresses crib Monroe instead of inventing their own unique images. If you're devoid of charisma and innate sexual appeal, maybe it's time to try beekeeping."

As if to further the point, Lohan swept the Razzies this week, earning a record eight "wins" for her role as a stripper in I Know Who Killed Me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the shots are tasteful and very well done. Also, I found a fun opinion survey on Lohan's photo shoot if anyone wants to check it out. Lohan survey

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about this for a while, too, though I didn't make the Marilyn-Lili connection.

"[It is]rather sad that so many young actresses crib Monroe instead of inventing their own unique images."

I couldn't have said it better.